Saturday, September 23, 2017

Awkward by Svetlana Chmakova

Hello everyone! Recently I have been looking for graphic novels that I haven't read before (and believe me I have read a LOT of graphic novels!), and I came across a graphic novel artist named Svetlana Chmakova. The two graphic novels that I ended up reading by her were Awkward and Brave. This post is going to be all about Awkward!

(Hint: Stay tuned for my post for Brave!)

In Awkward, the main character's name is Penelope, or Peppi for short. When she moves to a new town and is instantly humiliated by tripping on her first day, Peppi does something she regrets. When a boy comes over to help her, Peppi pushes him away. Literally. After that, Peppi soon finds her people, and becomes a part of The Art Club.

There is also the Science Club, the Art Club's rival. After a series of arguments and conflicts between the two clubs, things take a turn. Both the science and art clubs find out that only ONE of the two clubs is going to be getting a table at the School Club Fair. After that, the competition is on!


When Peppi needs a tutor for science, and finds out that her tutor, Jaime, is the very same boy that she pushed away on her first day at her new school, things get... awkward...

Being friends with someone who isn't in your club is not okay. And someone in The SCIENCE club, well, that's as bad as it can get. When an unfortunate series of events leads to a consequence that both the Art and Science clubs have to deal with, things get worse and worse. But if Peppi and Jaime can work together to get the clubs to stop fighting, and realize that neither one is more important than the other, maybe they can fix the rivalry between the clubs, and become friends.

I picked up this book in a bookstore last month and read half of it standing up in the middle of the store, until I realized I was in the way. That is how much this graphic novel drew me in from the start!

Stay tuned for more posts,

Greek Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment