Sunday, October 1, 2017

The Secret Horses of Briar Hill by Megan Sheperd

Hi everyone! Today's post is about a book I read over the summer called The Secret Horses of Briar Hill by Megan Sheperd. Wait! Don't get scared away because of the horses. I'm not a big horse fan, so if you're thinking something like, Horses? Give me a break! Time to close the tab... STOP. RIGHT. THERE. I thought so too at first, but a good friend recommended this book to me, and who am I to turn down a recommendation? I ended up really enjoying this book, and I read nearly the whole book the day I got it. I sat down on my front porch after my trip to the library, and I just couldn't put it down. So.... are you ready to hear what it's about? LET'S GO!!!!

The Secret Horses of Briar Hill takes place in England during World War II at Briar Hill Hospital, a home for sick children. The main character Emmaline, has a secret. She can see winged horses in the mirrors of Briar Hill. The winged horses bring color and joy into her life, even though she can only see them. Until...


One of the winged horses crosses over to Emmaline's world, and is stuck in the garden outside the hospital. The horse is hurt, and as far as Emmaline knows, she is the only one who can see the horses. Then Emmaline received a secret message telling her to look after the horse, Foxfire, and that Foxfire is being pursued by the Black Horse. The Black Horse is coming. The only way to stop him is to collect an item of each color of the rainbow. With Emmaline's sickness getting worse, and the problem of trying to find color in a colorless world, saving Foxfire will be difficult. Will Emmaline be able to do it?

The Secret Horses of Brair Hill is really touching, and is a really good read! I would recommend this book to anyone who likes historical fiction, but also fiction with a touch of magic! I promise you, you will fall in love with Emmaline, and everyone else in the book!

Stay tuned for more awesomeness,

Greek Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment