Saturday, January 6, 2018

Happy 2018!

Happy 2018 everyone! Boy do I have a lot in store for you today! Along with the new year, I have decided to make some changes about the way I run my blog. As you know, I had a challenge for myself way back in 2016, to read 150 books in that year. By the time 2017 came around I had made it 137 books, so last year I tried again. And yet again I failed, landing a grand total of 88 books. Not nearly as well as I had done the year before. In case you don't remember, or you weren't a reader of my blog back then, I had rules for what books counted and what books didn't.

To refresh your memory:

Rule 1) Every book that I read has to be a book that I have not read before this year. For instance, if I read the same book twice this year, I cannot count it as two books read. But if I haven't read the book in a couple of years, however, and I read it again THIS year, I can count it once.

Rule 2) I have to read the book all the way through for it to count.

Rule 3) I do not count picture books. Yes, I know. Picture books are books too, but if it counted every time I read one of those, I would be done incredibly quickly and I want to make this a real challenge!

Rule 4) Graphic novels count, too (of course).


Here comes the part about the change. This year, my challenge is going to be a little bit different. I don't want to force myself to read as many books as possible, although I will still keep track. I have decided to make my reading challenge apply to my blog as well. Every week for this year (maybe even for the years to come) I will post once a week on the weekend about something I have read in the past week. That way, I can make sure that I am staying on track with my reading and keeping you posted! And yes, some weeks I may have more than one post if I really can't stop myself!

So far in 2018 I have finished reading four books. Below, I have brief descriptions of the books. In the future I may write a full post for one, and maybe all, of the books I have below. For now, this should do.


The Witch Boy by Molly Ostertag is a graphic novel about a boy who grows up in a family of witches and wizards. Boys follow the path of a wizard, learning to shape shift and harness their powers to protect themselves and the witches. Girls learn to be witches, learning spells and using magic more from the sidelines. Aster is a young boy who has a knack for witchery. Although it is still magic, Aster is not supposed to practice witchery. When some of Aster's male cousins start going missing, he realizes that his witch magic may be the only thing that can bring them back.


Legend and Prodigy by Marie Lu are the first two books in a dystopian Sci-Fi trilogy that takes place in the future Republic of America. In a time where the Republic is at war with the Colonies, June and Day may be the only ones who can save their country. June is an Agent working for the government and a girl of higher class, while Day is a criminal living in the streets in the poorer parts of future Los Angeles. Their two completely disconnected lives connect when Day is suspected of killing June's older brother, and it is her mission to find Day and put him behind bars for good.



And last but not least, P.S. Longer Letter Later is a book written in letter form by both Paula Danziger and Ann M. Martin. It is about two best friends in the seventh grade named Elizabeth and Tara*Starr. Tara*Starr has moved away, and the girls continue their friendship through their letter writing. Through the ups and downs of family and friendship drama, Elizabeth and Tara*Starr learn that no matter what, they will always have each other.

I hope that this incredibly long post hasn't bored you to death! I'm going to make 2018 my best year on ReadingWayPastBedtime yet!

Happy New Year,

Greek Girl


Do you have any challenges for the New Year?
What books have you read so far in 2018?
I'd love to hear from you in the comments down below!

No comments:

Post a Comment